Sunday, December 29, 2013

Restoration Blog: 1989 Volvo 740
Installing A Dash Cover
This Christmas, I got something for my '89 Volvo that I've wanted for a long time, a carpet dash cover. It's no secret that Volvo 700 series cars always have cracked dashboards after decades of UV exposure. I've yet to see a 740 without a cracked dashboard. This cosmetic flaw can be a real eyesore, because it can be seen inside and out, and gets pointed out constantly by passengers. There are a couple of good solutions for this common problem. One is the fabric/carpet dash cover, which is a CNC cut carpet that covers the dash and is attached with velcro strips. I like this option because it is removable, and to me adds a greater feeling of luxury to the interior. The other option is to buy a full plastic cover, which is permanently glued onto the dash with adhesive. This option will keep the look of the dash closer to OEM, but make sure you get the cover exactly where you want it, because there's no going back.
My cover is from Dash Designs, Inc.

Here is a step by step guide on how to install a dash cover on a Volvo 740.

Step 1:  Clean the dashboard well with a multi purpose cleaner
(I used Lysol Direct but you can use any general purpose cleaner, just don't use something that will leave a residue/be slippery, like Armor All.)









Step 2: Cut the supplied Velcro into small 1/2" strips
I made some of the strips bigger for the corners







Step 3: Lay out the dash cover and get it to stay flat, without creases or folds in it.
Step 4: Place the dash cover on the dash, and get it to conform to all the curves of the dash by flattening it with your hand. It doesn't have to be perfect, just try not to have any folds/big air pockets under the cover. Make sure you're not blocking any air vents/electronics on the dash (alarm sensors, satellite radio, etc.) If necessary cut out around anything that the carpet is blocking.








Step 5: Stick the velcro strips onto the dash in approximately 10" intervals to start, around the perimeter of the cover, with the cover in place. Get the perimeter of the cover stuck down and then add any extra strips to areas that won't stay down.







Step 6: Adjust the position of the cover as necessary. As you can see in this picture, I still had some creases in the middle of the cover that I needed to flatten out. My advice here is not to reposition it more than a couple times, as you will start pulling up the velcro strips.

That's all there is to it. Here are some pictures of the finished product.






















I think the carpet really elevates the feeling of luxury in the car, and now I don't have to worry about any new cracks developing on the dash. I am pleased with the quality of the carpet, there are no rough edges and the material is soft.

0 comments:

Post a Comment